Thursday, December 6, 2012

4 Months of Darkness

 Well this is my first post in over 4 months I believe. Senior year of college took me over and I found that every ounce of energy that I could muster had to be geared toward the absurd amount of schoolwork and other commitments that I had made. But really, all of that was just a wimpy excuse. Busyness becomes the easiest reason to permit stagnancy in our walk with the Lord. I shared with my small group last night that I believe spiritual stagnancy is one of the biggest threats facing Christians in America. For the last 4 months I have used busyness (with good things!) as an excuse to neglect walking in the light. Instead of basking the glorious light of Christ, I found myself content with sulking in the shadows beyond. There is no more dangerous thing for a believer than becoming comfortable with the shadows.
 
I share this not out of a desire to gain something, but out of a desire to surrender my pride and perhaps open your eyes if you have succumb to the same complacency that I had. The very worst part of this was that deep down I knew where I was and I lied to myself by saying that I just didn’t have the energy, time, or the strength to climb out of the pit. I convinced myself that circumstances beyond my control and the poor choices and actions of other people were what was driving me into this empty and helpless state of mind and soul. I let my eyes adjust to the darkness and soon had less desire to even try and see the light again.

Then all of the sudden, it was gone. I’m sure it is partially related to the fact that much of my schoolwork is done for the semester…but there is something more. There is hope now. There are thoughts and emotions and desires of the light that I tricked myself into thinking were somehow out of reach for me, when they were entirely within my grasp the whole time. God finally smacked me on the face instead of letting me wallow in the pit of despair into which I had so willingly and freely cast myself. No one pushed me in, no one dragged me in, I don’t even think I fell in…I jumped in.

If you have felt this way or are feeling this way right now, I would encourage you to persevere. Look at the suffering Jesus endured and the purity that his heart maintained despite it all. Look at Paul and the pain and suffering he endured and then rejoiced in. True believers will always have seasons of pain and suffering. They will always have those times when they let their eyes adjust to the darkness. What you must remember is that you are a free soul. You have been released from your captivity by Jesus himself. You must recognize that you have been set free and then choose to live like it! No circumstance, no pain, no fear, no worry, and no one can put your chains back on except yourself. After being set free and cleansed by Christ, the only force that can drive you into the shadows beyond is yourself. Stop sulking in the darkness. Stop letting the evil one whisper lies in your ear. Remember that the shed blood of Christ has freed you from all bondage and that there is no greater joy or comfort than pressing close up against Jesus when all the lights seem to go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment